THE CHILDREN’S GENTLE IMMOBILIZER
The Children’s Gentle Immobilizer is a simple, durable or one-time use design, versatile, one-piece radiolucent child medical positioning aid which holds secure all four extremities individually in an antimicrobial-infused soft foam wrap with no extraneous straps, boards, velcro, medical tape, bandages, clamps, pins or fabrics.
The Children’s Gentle Immobilizer is designed for children weighing up to approx. 25 lbs.
Decreasing child movement helps to improve the radiologic image quality as well as providing 3 key benefits:
- Reduced radiation to technologist’s eyes, thyroid, and hands
- Reduced radiation to the child
- Reduced radiation to the child’s parent
Frank Louis Quattromani, MD, Pediatric Radiologist
- University Medical Center, Lubbock, Texas
- Clinical Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- A former consultant to the United States Army Office of the Surgeon General
- (Retired), U.S. Army Colonel (06)
Patricia Rae Quattromani, co-inventor and product designer
For more information contact:
EMAIL: [email protected]
Manual restraint techniques and commercial immobilizer devices may be used to keep the pediatric patient motionless. There are two techniques of immobilization. The first immobilizes for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) procedures where the “static” device such as the “papoose” or “swaddle” are standard with no need to access and manipulate catheters or lines during imaging (x-ray pictures).
The second technique consists of immobilization of the child while still selectively exposing all necessary lines and catheters for interactive and simultaneous manipulation during imaging.
The methodology designed into the Children’s Gentle Immobilizer places children in a warm, cushioned and open device for radiologic procedures where the constant and continuous line, tube and catheter repositioning, and manipulation is easily accessible. “Open device” is intended to mean that the chest and abdomen or entire torso remains unrestrained allowing for better respiration. Examples of procedures where access to the perineum and pelvis of the child are required include the voiding cysto-urethrogram (bladder and kidney) studies and contrast colon studies.
REDUCED RADIATION EXPOSURE
The opportunity to reduce radiation exposure is a critical issue within pediatric radiology and is an exceptional benefit provided by the Children’s Gentle Immobilizer as it limits exposure by decreasing repeats as well as lessening the area of the body exposed. The Image Gently Alliance (associated with the Society for Pediatric Radiology) intends to raise awareness about methods to reduce radiation dose during pediatric imaging procedures.
The Alliance states:
“Children require special attention when receiving care in the hospital environment. Medical imaging procedures can be lifesaving for children who are sick or injured, but children are more sensitive than adults to the radiation these procedures deliver.”
Child safety is paramount when immobilizing a patient for diagnostic procedures. Immobilization and restraint can also be traumatizing to both the child and parent.
The Children’s Gentle Immobilizer is a new paradigm in providing a safe, comfortable and non-threatening option to better cradle and soothe the patient as well as reducing stress for the non-parent support.
THE CHILDREN’S GENTLE IMMOBILIZER ALSO SATISFIES IMMOBILIZATION AND RESTRAINT GUIDELINES FROM THE:
- American College of Pediatrics
- American College of Pediatric Dentistry
- American College of Radiology
- Society for Pediatric Radiology/Image Gently Alliance
- Joint Commission for Immobilization
ADDITIONAL DETAILED BENEFITS OF THE CHILDREN’S GENTLE IMMOBILIZER:
REDUCED RADIATION EXPOSURE
- Less radiation exposure to pediatric patient as well as non-patient support, including parents, technologist, and physician
- The design ensures hands of non-patient support remain out of the radiologic field of interest
- Latex-free foam
- Radiolucent to x-rays
- Friction-based 4-point system eliminates need for straps or attachments
- Quick and easy to apply and remove (<30 seconds)
- Weighs approx. 10 ounces
PATIENT COMFORT AND SAFETY
- Improved respiration due to lack of straps or restrictions across chest and abdomen
- Respiration and circulation easily monitored during procedure
- Restrains patient securely, safely and comfortably above the elbows and below the knees
- Padded head support prevents patient head from contacting imaging table
- Can be kept in blanket warmer prior to use
- Open design allows medical staff to easily access any and all tubes and lines
- Soothing when used to immobilize children with special needs